Tuesday, March 27, 2012

When the lights go out...

Today we started off with no lights!  There was a blown breaker on the high school side of our building (we're a school within a school), and I was the lucky teacher that had no working emergency lights.  Thankfully, I had set up a space in the hallway between the lockers as a gigantic coordinate plane earlier in the year.  I split my 7th grade class into five groups, and we practiced graphing lines in slope-intercept form.  It had been a little while since we had practiced slope-intercept form, so this was the perfect time to review with the state test coming up. 


The huge coordinate plane I made with painters tape!



I use a small dry erase board to write the equations so the kids can see them.












I would call a group to come up and would show them an equation.  Then, they would work together to graph the line on the coordinate plane, using their bodies as the points!  Amazingly, this activity held their attention for about thirty minutes. 

They were starting to get restless, so since we had just been studying statistical displays, I had an impromptu survey about their favorite things about spring.  Then we talked about which of our statistical displays we could actually use.  They made some awesome circle graphs and bar graphs.




As you can see, they did a great job!  Thankfully, as they were finishing up, the power came back on!  Hopefully the last three days before break won't be near as exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment