Thursday, May 10, 2012

Building Rafts... Part 2

Due to rainy weather, we had to postpone floating our rafts until today.  I filled 3 Rubbermaid tubs with about 4-5 inches of water, and had small buckets with enough pennies for each group.

Students started by placing their first raft in the water, and then placing pennies, one at a time, into the dixie cup, until the raft sank. 



           

Students collected their data into a table, and then created a scatterplot of their data.  Then, they found the line of best fit for their data.  In the future, I will definitely be using this activity during our unit on scatter plots and lines of best fit.

Aside from my person injury (most of my toenail got destroyed when someone slipped into me), I felt like it was a very successful activity, and one that the students definitely enjoyed! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. W!

    I need your email to send you your beach formula's! Send me an email at my blog! Thanks! :)

    Lauren
    Life In Middle School

    ReplyDelete